Well – there used to be… The Victoria Golf Club www.victoriagolf.com.au currently located in the beachside suburb of Cheltenham started its life in Port Melbourne.
Victoria Golf Club 1903 formed at Fishermen’s Bend as a links course. The location was sought after as it was close to the GPO where most of the members carried out business. 200 acreas at the corner of Lorimer & Ingles St, Fishermans Bend.
6 holes to start.
Mr Phil Hudson – the architect for the Shrine of Remembrance , designed the alterations and additions to the first clubhouse
Royal Melbourne turned down the site 6 years earlier – preferring Sandringham.
State govt owned the land and kept putting up the rent forcing the Victoria Club to look elsewhere – later settling on Cheltenham. about 25 years later.
source : Victoria Golf Club 1903-1988 by Don Lawrence published 1988