At lunchtime (12:30pm) Port Melbourne Specialist School Choir will be singing on the steps of the Old Post Office (located at 253 Bay Street) as we launch the Mike Brady AM Perpetual Trophy.
The Mike Brady AM Perpetual Trophy is an initiative by the Port Melbourne Business Association, to honour one of Port Melbourne’s favourite sons, jingle writer Mike Brady AM. Mike emigrated to Australia in the 1950’s and was raised in Port Melbourne. He went on to become a member of the Order of Australia for his services to the Australian music industry.
The Mike Brady AM Perpetual Trophy will be awarded annually to the school whose lyrics are selected to feature in the Port Melbourne annual Christmas song, which are displayed on shop windows throughout the area. The launch of the Perpetual Trophy will commence with the performance by the Port Phillip Specialist School’s choir for the ‘Launch of Christmas 2013‘. The performance will be held on the steps of the Old Post Office, at 253 Bay Street Port Melbourne.
Commencing at 5pm – we have a night of non-stop activity, and trading hours are being extended for this very special night. Our fantastic, 4km of window displays will be complete. The competition will then begin to find the 12 special windows, featuring the ‘12 days of Christmas’ lyrics. Those who are able to find all 12 businesses will be in the running to win one of the 2 bikes up for grabs. Competition entry forms will be available in most stores and completed entries can be deposited in entry boxes located in Thomas Dux (120 Bay Street) and Coles (203 Bay Street).
Singing in the streets
• There will be live music featured across four blocks in the Bay street area. Our very own Port Melbourne Primary School Modern Choir, the Cadence Choir, Musical Directions, Salvation Army singers, and Salvation Army strings will be performing on the footpaths. At 7.30pm The Melbourne Gospel Choir will be performing at the Uniting Church in Bridge Street.
• The Gingerbread decoration workshop will begin – children can decorate and take home their own Christmas tree decoration.
• Circus Oz will be conducting an informal workshop in Bay Street, including things such as juggling, diabolo, devil sticks, plate juggling, hat juggling, object balance, plate spinning etc.
• The Rotary Club of Port Melbourne and the Uniting Church will be running sausage sizzles.
• Santa will be making an appearance during the evening so bring your cameras.
• Additionally we will have the Victoria Police and the Metropolitan Fire Brigade (including their fire truck)
Santa Photo’s: Santa will be in Port Melbourne every Sunday during Dec (10.00am-3pm) and Wednesday 4th Dec (between 10am-3pm) for children to have their photo taken with him.
• Photo Location: Tiny Polka Dots 293 Bay Street
• Photo Collection: The Photo Shop 215 Bay Street